Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the greatest and first commandment. And a second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.” — Matthew 22:37-40
Applications for 2019 Summer Mission Trips posted under Trip Information
Why do missions?
Why should you go on a mission trip? Or, if you are a parent of a middle school or high school student, why send your youth on one? Mission trips give us an opportunity to step outside of our comfort zone, build lasting friendships with fellow missioners, learn about God’s heart for people, and obey Jesus’s command to love our neighbors as ourselves. Mission trips teach us empathy, leadership, and teamwork, and help open our eyes to see God working in our world today.
We know there are many worthwhile service trips, camps, and jobs for youth to participate in over the summer. But we invite you to prayerfully consider reserving one week this summer to join us for a mission trip. You never know what God will reveal!
We are partnering with other Colorado Episcopal churches to offer two YES (Young Episcopalians in Service) trips in the summer of 2019. The trip details are below, as are the dates and times for our youth mission fundraiser and training meetings. All youth who participate in a mission trip are expected to participate in group fundraising efforts, attend training meetings, and work collaboratively with the youth minister to create a short group presentation about their experience after the trip. Please contact Rebecca Cotton with any questions or concerns you may have!
Coastal Texas, June 2-8, 2019
Please note that this trip is scheduled during the last full week of the ECS calendar. If you would be interested in an ECOT-only high school trip from June 16-21, 2019, please fill out this form by Sunday, December 23rd.
- For rising 9th graders and above
- Focus: Hurricane Recovery
- Total Cost (including deposit): $900/person. Group fundraising with ECOT covers $600; missioners pay $300
- Deposit due with registration: $150
- Application Deadline: January 30th. Please bear in mind that trips fill on a first-come, first-served basis.
- YES Coastal Texas Application – Turn into Rebecca Cotton with $150 deposit to reserve your spot
Vail Valley Mission Trip, July 21-26, 2019
You read that right! We’re hosting the in-state trip next summer!!
- For rising 6th graders and above (rising 6th graders must speak to Rebecca Cotton to participate in this trip)
- Focus: Service/outreach around poverty and rural communities, and education about environmental stewardship
- Total Cost (including deposit): $200/student. Group fundraising with ECOT covers $130; missioners pay $70
- Deposit due with registration: $50
- Application Deadline: February 28th. Please bear in mind that trips fill on a first-come, first-served basis.
- YES Vail Valley Application – Turn into Rebecca Cotton with $50 deposit to reserve your spot
Mandatory ECOT Events*
- Tuesday, Mar 5th – Shrove Tuesday Pancake Supper and Youth Mission Fundraiser, 4-7:30 pm, Edwards Interfaith Chapel. Youth can work a 2 hr shift.
- Sunday, April 7th – Texas Trip ONLY Team Bonding Day, 11 am – 6 pm, Good Shepherd Episcopal Church, Centennial
- Sunday, April 28th – Training Meeting 11:30-1 pm, Edwards Interfaith Chapel
- Friday, May 30th – Texas Training Meeting ONLY, time and place TBD
- Sunday, July 14th – Vail Training Meeting ONLY, time and place TBD
*Please talk to Rebecca promptly if you have a conflict with any of these meetings. Thanks!
If you are concerned about your ability to pay the missioner cost for a trip, please speak to Rebecca Cotton. We do have some scholarships available, and don’t want anyone to chose not to participate simply because of cost!
Sounds great! Where do I sign up?
Registration for both trips will open soon.
Parents, please speak to Rebecca Cotton if you or someone you know is interested in serving as a chaperone!